Monday, January 5, 2009

Rest in peace Carl Pohlad

Carl Pohlad died today at the age of 93. While it's true that the Twins have always been a bit on the stingy side, and when MLB wanted to reduce the number of teams, he was ready to throw the Twins to the wolves, his team still provided me the highlight of my sports-watching life: attending games six and seven of the 1991 World Series. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for anyone associated with that series -- Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbek, Bob Casey, Jack Morris, even Charlie Liebrandt. And even the curmudgeonly owner. I've always respected the fact that he seems to have let baseball people run the operations, as long as it was within the financial parameters he set. Sure, I'd like to see the Twins spend a little more in the free agent market, but when it's all said and done, at least I can look back on '91 and smile.

No comments: